About Rutilated Quartz
What is Rutilated Quartz
Rutilated Quartz is a kind of Quartz which has the inclusion of Rutile; it has a Mohs hardness of 7. One of its Chinese name got the word titanium in it because titanium element can be extracted from Rutile. Normally Rutilated Quartz has Clear Quartz or Smoky Quartz as its base crystal, and Rutile appears in the crystal as needle-shape or even board-shape without regular ways of order. Since People like board-shape inclusion better than needle-shape ones, we separate these two kinds of Rutilated Quartz with different Chinese names according to their shapes of inclusion. Rutilated Quartz is popular because it has the transparency of crystal as well as the color of gold, however the minerals is now on the decrease and the price gets higher, especially a precious kind of Rutilated Quartz that Rutile inclusion looks like a flower in the Quartz.
Origin of Rutilated Quartz
Rutilated Quartz can be found in America, Russia, Australia and some other places yet Brazil is the biggest origin and export country. While more and more people become a fan of Rutilated Quartz, the minerals keep drying up and Brazil reduce their mining for protecting the environment, the price of Rutilated Quartz gets much higher than before.
Grade of Rutilated Quartz
Rutilated Quartz is usually graded by its size, the transmittance and transparency of the crystal, is there any flaw or not, and the size and shape of Rutile inclusion. Normally, the bigger size of Rutilated Quartz the better. Crystal with better transmittance and transparency is more popular, therefore people like Clear Quartz as basic crystal more than Smoky Quartz. The thicker of Rutile inclusion the better; the most expensive ones are those which having board-shape inclusions. Finally, the ones without flaws are the most valuable.
- It is hard to find a big size Rutilated Quartz that has good transparency as well as board-shape Rutile inclusion without any flaw. This kind of Rutilated Quartz is priceless.
- Some Rutilated Quartz are also in large size with perfect transparency and board-shape inclusion that only slight flaw can be seen in the the crystal. This kind of Rutilated Quartz is expensive, too.
- Most customers can afford the Rutilated Quartz which is smaller but still gets board-shape inclusion, some of these small crystal even under perfect condition without flaw.
- Usually pendants with full Rutile needles are cheaper because the inclusion are not board-shape, even if they have good transparency and no flaw. However, due to its infrequency, rectangle beads Rutilated Quartz bracelets with tidy Rutile inclusion are much more expensive than pendants.
- The cheapest Rutilated Quartz are the ones having few thin, needles-shape inclusion with lots of flaws, and the crystal is not clear, either.